It will be easier for the UNP if former defense secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa contested the 2020 presidential election, UNP Propaganda Unit Chief and Minister, Harin Fernando said today.
He told a news conference the UNP would welcome Mr. Rajapaksa’s candidacy because there were many things to talk about. “We have many things to tell the people about former the defense secretary and we will do so at the right time,” the minister said. “Mr. Rajapaksa always does things through militarization. Anyone who likes it could embrace militarization.”
He said many have failed to understand the mature democracy that is prevailing in the country. “Mature Democracy is the reason why people cannot understand the truth. Many think that this government is timid and has no backbone.
The President and the Prime Minister are attacked on Facebook. Some think that both of them have become jokers, there is mudslinging everywhere. Media can fabricate news. These are all features of a mature democracy,” he said and added that even the head of state could be criticized amid an environment of a mature democracy.
That mature democracy was born only after 2015,” he said. “There are two kinds of laws -- the laws which people take on to their hands and laws enforced according to the book. We have not taken the laws into our hands. We have enforced the laws as it is in the book and had allowed the judiciary to deal with the wrong doers. There is a delay on the part of the judiciary as cases are postponed. One could get things done when he takes the law on to his hands while when you enforce the laws according to the book it takes time. When law enforcement gets delayed one concludes that this government is a failure. New laws have been approved in Parliament to set up special courts to hear cases daily. When this new courts are established everyone will be able to see how the wrong doers are penalized.” (Yohan Perera)
Hey man, I am contesting. I am clean with no record of corruption and bank robberies. This is the type we will vote for next time. Blue or green you are the same.
Unchikun Tuesday, 12 June 2018 09:08 PM
That can be considered the statement of the decade. What happens if Ranil, you leader contests. It will be a cakewalk for any one. One sec, that includes me. I have a better chance.
S Fernando Tuesday, 12 June 2018 11:29 PM
whether pohottu horas like it or not we will field a common candidate and we will beat you uneducated rural bayyas.
Sisili Bisili Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:31 PM
Yes. UNP can go away from a Google Balloon.
Dr.Siri Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:35 PM
First full fill the manifesto of 2015 before talking bana about 2020.
Ceylon Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:37 PM
Howcome gota contest election?.who pardened him for accused crimes???.
Dhammika Wednesday, 13 June 2018 04:42 PM
I dont know whether AMERICAN citizens can contest SL elections.
suresh Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:49 PM
Yes, easier for UNP to lose. (and Im a hardcore UNPer....sigh)
Jiff Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:50 PM
Gota will be defeated but only by a coalition of UNP SLFP JVP TNA SLMC JHU. Wait a second isn't that all established political parties against Gota? That should tell about the popularity of the man.
Tax Payer Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:50 PM
Spending millions per month for the upkeep of these bafoons...
Leo Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:54 PM
2020 will be rural nationalists ( True SLFP, patriotic minorites ) vs urban anti nationals ( UNP, Hijacked SLFP, JVP, TNA )
Qed Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:55 PM
You can win by promising various things to TNA and Badurdeen but these 4 years showed us that you can't and you have no interest in developing the country. Sadly our people are politically blind.
Hesh Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:57 PM
My calculation is 40% idiots will believe your fairy tales. 50% will take a chance with Gota. 10% will place their trust on Rohan Pallewatte.
Mahesh Tuesday, 12 June 2018 11:00 PM
Right. And will you promise free wifi again in 2020?
Nish Tuesday, 12 June 2018 11:04 PM
JVP will demand a big bribe in 2020 to support Ranils common candidate and will slide from 6 seats to 4 seats in the parliamentary election as a result. Premadasa could have learnt a lesson or two from Malik on how to cripple political camps without killing its members.
Eesh Tuesday, 12 June 2018 11:06 PM
Only 51% believed your allegations in 2015. What make you think 50.1% will believe your allegations after 5 years of failure?
Dan Tuesday, 12 June 2018 11:19 PM
Harin was absolutely correct...If Gota contest it will be easier for UNP to lose the election...very true...at last he talks "Sathya" now...
punchinilame Tuesday, 12 June 2018 11:27 PM
There is ample time. The clueless Rajapakses are messedup and before long at least one Goat will be trapped and that ends his dream,
Skipper Wednesday, 13 June 2018 12:15 AM
UNP should groom a candidate for 2020.RW you have destroyed the grand old party, do the country a favor pack your bags and get the hell out of there, You are a born Looser.
alimohamed Wednesday, 13 June 2018 11:41 AM
If a Donkey contest against the UNP the Donkey will win not the UNP.
kumar Wednesday, 13 June 2018 01:12 PM
sounds to me these guys want Gota to contest.and they know Gota will win hands down,but if he is elected SINHALA BUDDHIST will have no protection.
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.