Sun, 20 Jun 2021 Today's Paper

Myanmar refugees- Dissatisfied with the police action: Sagala

3 October 2017 08:56 am - 8     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

Law and Order Minister Sagala Ratnayaka said yesterday he was dissatisfied with the manner in which the police acted during the recent incident in Mount Lavinia where a group of Myanmar refugees was allegedly harassed by a group of protesters including several monks.

He said this when he met Divisional SSPs and ASPs at Temple Trees and reminded the Police that they were responsible for maintaining law and order and ensuring peace.

"About 95 % of the police personnel perform their duties to the best of their abilities but the remaining 5% have been found wanting not because of a fault of the government. If an officer acts in a manner that favours a politician or some other person then issues arise," he said.

The minister discussed several recent incidents including the one that took place in Mount Lavinia and the accident where his vehicle was hit by a another vehicle on the Southern Expressway.

"Instead of searching for the vehicle which hit my vehicle, my vehicle was taken to the police. If this is how police treat me, how can the people have faith in the police? " he asked. (Darshana Sanjeewa)

See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.

  Comments - 8

See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.

 

 
  • Yahiya Tuesday, 03 October 2017 09:13 AM

    First you resign. Most suitable man is Mr. Sarath Fonseka. He will do the job perfectly

    Yahiya Tuesday, 03 October 2017 09:13 AM

    First you resign. Most suitable man is Mr. Sarath Fonseka. He will do the job perfectly

    Nihal Amarasekera Tuesday, 03 October 2017 09:54 AM

    I disagree with the comment "95 % of the police personnel perform their duties to the best of their abilities but the remaining 5% have been found wanting" figures should be interchange.

    hautaum Tuesday, 03 October 2017 10:11 AM

    there was better administration let by Tamil rebel was still remembered by peoplethere is barrier law enforcement Influence of yellow cloth, ethnicity, bureaucracy and money, it is not only SL but also south Asian countries.

    Sri Lankan Tuesday, 03 October 2017 10:12 AM

    Probably the Police and most of the Government officials are still on the payroll of the former chief, money talks brother, so loud I mean.

    Jonson Tuesday, 03 October 2017 10:18 AM

    Expressing your dissatisfaction on police action doesnt satisfy the people of the Sri Lanka or the international community but prompt action should have taken as you are the minister of law and order. via DM Android App

    Dilan Fernando Tuesday, 03 October 2017 05:08 PM

    If so, send them to rich Arab countries.

    ceylon Wednesday, 04 October 2017 07:36 AM

    why no action against law broken policemen. via DM Android App


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment


Statistical blunders expose administrative weaknesses

Information helps save lives and during a pandemic a free-flow of vital, accu

Vavuniya tusker’s demise DID TOO MANY ‘COOKS’ SPOIL JUMBO’S RECOVERY?

On June 11 Sri Lanka lost another one of its magnificent tuskers that succumb

Life and Times of Dynamic “Thamby” Arumugan Thondaman

Thamby”in Tamil means younger brother. It is also used widely as a pet name



See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.