The recent tragedy in Crepe Rubber Manufacturing Factory at Horana where five people died due to an ammonia gas exposure on April 19, had been directly caused due to the lack of attention to the factory's safety programme, Director General of the Central Environment Authority (CEA) Hemantha Jayasinghe said.
Speaking to the Daily Mirror, he said the factory which was operated utilizing chemical substances had not observed a due procedure to maintain a special care of the employees during the long term maintenance in the industrial activities.
“Environmental experts in the Environmental Protection Unit of the Ministry of Environment and Renewable Energy have taken instant steps to conduct a field inspection at the rubber factory,” Mr. Jayasinghe said.
“A valid Environmental Protection License had been issued to maintain the activities of the Institute and it is a legally valid license from November 11, 2017 to November 10, 2018. It provides advice and conditions as how to maintain such a factory with safety methods. However, the factory had not maintained it with safety methods,” D.G Jayasinghe said.
He said the CEA suspended the functions and operations of the Rubber Factory and added it looked forward to shut down the factory after considering the report of the investigations and the inspections of the CEA. (Sheain Fernandopulle)