Deadly clashes hit Aleppo as evacuation deal on hold

15 December 2016 03:53 pm - 0     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

A deal to evacuate civilians and fighters from remaining rebel-held areas of Aleppo is on hold   

 

ALEPPO AFP/ Dec14, 2016-   
Deadly clashes erupted in Syria’s Aleppo on Wednesday and a deal for the evacuation of rebel areas was on hold, leaving thousands of cold and hungry civilians uncertain of their future.   


Entire families had gathered in the early hours, in the hope of leaving Aleppo after an agreement announced the night before for rebels to withdraw from the city.   


But the first expected departures around 5:00 am (0300 GMT) were delayed and, a few hours later, fierce fighting again began to shake the city.   


The landmark deal -- which would mark the end of opposition resistance in Syria’s second city after years of fighting -- appeared increasingly precarious as the regime, the rebels, and their foreign allies traded accusations.   


The last pocket of rebel-held territory in east Aleppo came under heavy tank fire, said an AFP correspondent in the area, who saw several wounded civilians.   


The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said air strikes had also hit rebel areas and that there were “very intense clashes on every front line”.   


State television said rebel rocket fire on government-controlled areas had also resumed, with at least seven people reported dead.   


Rebels and a source close to the regime told AFP that the evacuation had been suspended after objections from Syria’s government.   


The source said Damascus had baulked when the rebels wanted to increase the number of those to be evacuated from 2,000 to 10,000. 

  Comments - 0


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment




Two arrested with 12 T-56 assault rifles in Pitipana

Two accomplices of underworld figures ‘Kosgoda Tharaka’ and ‘Gagana’

PM, NP Governor discuss illegal boat arrivals from India

Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa and Northern Province Governor P.S.M. Charle

Not wearing face masks in public Over 1,200 sent to self-quarantine

Over 1,200 people have been sent to self-quarantine for failing to wear face

President to join PM on SLPP campaign on July 3

President Gotabaya Rajapaksa would be joining Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaks