Last Updated : 2019-01-22 16:20:44

Apps Advertising Home Delivery Feedback

'A white flame, sparks and a bang came out of my phone': Pictures of the state-of-the-art Samsung Ga

23 June 2012 04:37 pm - 0     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A
  • The user, from Ireland, said the phone 'exploded' while charging in his car
  • 'It could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed'
  • Samsung have launched an investigation into the unverified images

Modern smartphones can sometimes burn a hole in your pocket - but this is usually a metaphor than a literal event.

But Samsung has launched an investigation after a user of the company's flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S3, alleged his phone blew up while he drove in his car.

As these unverified images below appear to show, the smartphone started burning at the base of the unit, near the charging port.

The Galaxy S3 has already sold more than 10 million models worldwide and was one of the fastest-selling gadgets of all time following its launch in May.

Time to burn: The S3 is shown suffering damage near the charging port - although the battery looks unscathed

The pictures were posted on a website by the angry user, who called himself Dillo2k10, from Dublin Ireland.

They clearly show an area of blackened, melted plastic around the charging terminal.

The user said: 'I was driving along with my Galaxy S3 in my car mount when suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone.
 
'I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal.

'The phone was destroyed and it slightly burned a piece of plastic on the inside of my car.'

He added: 'I'm really annoyed. That could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed. It's very dangerous.'

Worrying: The owner said he was driving in his car with the phone plugged into a charging socket when 'a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone'

Burning: He said the phone had 'burned through the plastic and melted the case to the phone'

Samsung confirmed it will investigate the claim, to check if the phone is susceptible to overheating. The company is now trying to get hold of the unit for a proper examination.

A spokesman said: 'Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.

'Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation.'

Probe: Samsung said it will investigate the claim, to check if the phone is susceptible to overheating

Faulty: Smartphones from most manufacturers, including the Apple iPhone, have occasionally had reports of overheating or scorching

Many reviewers have praised the S3, calling it Android's 'iPhone killer', in reference to Apple's phone, which is often seen as the standard-bearer for smartphones.

Smartphones from most manufacturers, including the Apple iPhone, have occasionally had reports of overheating or scorching.

Buyers are often reminded to avoid cheap alternative batteries as they do not always conform to stringent safety practices.

The Samsung Galaxy S III phone, next to an Apple iPhone

Heavyweight: The Samsung Galaxy S III phone, next to an Apple iPhone

(Source : www.dailymail.co.uk)

  Comments - 0


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment


Ministers using cocaine: Ranjan undertook a govt. contract - Gammanpila

While claiming that State Minister Ranjan Ramanayake’s recent remarks on co

Expedient Politics Toy with Executive Presidency

When politicians do something to advance themselves politically, something th

Color code for all sweets, biscuits from April 2

A Colour Code System (CCS) indicating sugar and salt levels in packaged food