Last Updated : 03-09-2014 10:03

 

 
 

Tragedy in Galaha

E-mail Print

A 15-year-old schoolboy who was playing in the school ground on Vesak Full Moon Poya Day (6) was electrocuted when he attempted to climb a high voltage lamp post.

The student had come to school to attend extra classes. During the interval he had attempted to climb the lamp post, police said.  The student identified as Ramachandran Kishorekumar resided  at Wedahetawatta in Galaha.

Police said the student was playing with eight other students at the time of the incident. He had died on the spot due to severe burn injuries.
Residents had complained to the authorities asking why such high voltage lines were fixed close to the ground. In this particular incident the lines were only 10 meters above the ground.

The body was sent to the Galaha Hospital for the post mortem after the magisterial inquiry was conducted. (Suranga Rajanayake)


 
 

Views : 2085
 
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend


Comments 

 
-3+26 # sltk2004 2012-05-07 09:55
The lines were 10 meters above the ground (that's more than 30 feet). And this person has climbed on to the high voltage lamp post. And they still complain against the wires ?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-4+6 # Nodrog 2012-05-07 11:04
Whats a high voltage lamp post doing in a school playground?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-8+4 # Yohan Perera 2012-05-07 11:08
Lets shut down electricity in the entire island. Take out all the lamp posts and return to the medieval age where people depended on candle light. Otherwise to the era before Edison was born so that we can use lamp posts powered by Kerosene.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Protest demanding salary increase
Launch of ‘Adara Ankura’
Remembering Anagarika Dharmapala
Harin in Passara
Protest demanding salary increase
Launch of ‘Adara Ankura’
Remembering Anagarika Dharmapala
Harin in Passara