Youth arrested over online child abuse

10 February 2020 02:20 pm - 0     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

A 21-year-old youth was arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for abusing children online, the Police said.

The Computer Crimes Investigation Unit of the CID arrested the suspect on February 7 following an investigation over social media child abuse.

According to the Police, the suspect had deceived several boys of popular schools in Colombo and its suburbs through fake WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat accounts.

"The suspect who impersonated as a woman or another male in the social media had cheated and threatened the children and obtained nude photos and videos, which later had been handed over to local and foreign pornographic websites. The suspects had been engaging in this crime for over three years," the Police said.

The Police advised those who use social media accounts not to respond to such requests.

The Police also urged social media users to refrain from giving their NIC numbers to anyone to buy SIM cards or to give social media account passwords to others.  

Investigations revealed that the most number of child abuse incidents had been taken place due to misuse of NICs and passwords.

Police requested the children and others not to engage in any social media offences as the law enforcement authorities would have to bring the victim as well before the courts when carrying out legal actions against criminals and offenders.

The Police also advised the parents to be vigilant on their children’s social media activities. (DSB)

  Comments - 0


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment




COVID-19: Protect the protectors

Going by some of the malicious comments posted by a section of society on soc

Bandula on COVID-19: Apparels will take $2bn hit from supply chain disruption

The apparel sector will lose USD 2 billion for the three-month period startin

Second COVID-19 death confirmed from Negombo

All eleven members in his family have been ordered to be self-quarantined

Sri Lanka needs rapid expansion of testing

As we come to the end of the ‘official quarantine’ period and begin to re