Last Updated : 2019-01-22 16:20:44

Apps Advertising Home Delivery Feedback

Ruwan refutes MR’s accusation over Navy

16 December 2016 09:30 pm - 3     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

State Defence Minister Ruwan Wijewardene today refuted former President Mahinda Rajapakse's accusation that the navy was sent to sabotage the Hambantota protest and it was a deliberate act to tarnish the Navy's image.

“I completely refute former president Mahinda Rajapakse's accusation,” State Minister Wijewardene said.

He said that the Navy was deployed to the Hambantota port to secure and release two ships that were held captive by the protesters. The ships were of Japanese and Singaporean origin. “When ships are held captive, that amounts to piracy and the navy has the right to use the appropriate force needed to secure the ships in such a situation,” he said.

He also said there was a genuine threat of sabotage not only to the two ships but also to the oil tanks situated near the port.

“The protesters had already damaged the gantry trains, tug boats, pilot boats and generators. The total cost of damages are more than Rs. 15 million, excluding the 400,000 US dollars we have to pay as damages for the ships,” he said.

“Does the former President want Sri Lanka to be branded as a safe harbour for pirates like in Somalia?" he questioned. The reputation of Sri Lanka was at threat and the Navy's action protected the image of our country.

“This is all a political game played by the Joint Opposition. These employees were not at any point employed by the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA), but were hired through a manpower company during the time of the former regime. If they are so concerned about these protesters why did they not employ them directly to the SLPA labour force at that time?”

“Such actions and statements are not only disrespecting the navy but also creating a bad image of Sri Lanka to the rest of the world,” the State Minister added.

  Comments - 3

  • Thomas Saturday, 17 December 2016 10:23 AM

    Former President must take responsibility for hiring temporary workers through contractor, and now they can be sacked if found redundant

    Ahmed Saturday, 17 December 2016 12:55 PM

    Please ignore MR's propaganda targeting gullibles.

    Mevan Friday, 16 December 2016 09:51 PM

    Only jokers of joint opposition would.take.MR seriously.


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment


Anti-Muslim attacks question security coordination

Tears in the eyes of the families mourning the loss of Easter Sunday terror v

Wahhabism and radicalization of local Muslims Fix it For Good

Intelligence-driven kinetic means can only do so much. The acid test would be

Rs.190 Million worth of Priorities ?

‘A supplementary budget of 190 million rupees for two bulletproof vehicles

Refugees become refugees again in Sri Lanka

There was a collective anguish over helplessness and isolation inside the gar

MIRROR CRICKET