Subscribe

British MP says SL war casualty figure 7,000, not 40,000

2017-11-16 04:04:16
27
5896

Lord Naseby of UK Parliament recently revealed how he accessed confidential reports compiled by the London’s Defence Attache in Sri Lanka during the war and gathered that the number of people who were killed during the last phase of war was 7,000.

Lord Naseby has told WION’s Mandy Clark how he went about the onerous task of accessing confidential reports compiled by none other than London’s own Defence Attache in Sri Lanka during the last phase of war in 2009 and came up with startling discoveries.

“I’ve tracked the war carefully because I just couldn’t believe these official figures - they didn’t stack up to the information I was getting. So I then invoked our freedom of information inquiry. I asked for the dispatches sent by our Defence Attache to our foreign office during the last days of the war. The application was refused twice by our foreign office. I then applied directly to the information commissioner - which is my right – and got 26 pages of redacted dispatches. Missing were the last six weeks of them. So I appealed again. And lo and behold, another 12 arrived. I went through them very carefully,” he said.

He said there was more than enough evidence to say that no one in the Sri Lankan government had said anything about killing any civilians at all.

“That was not the objective of the exercise. And from our Defence attache’s dispatches, I thus gleaned that about 7,000 were probably killed. And even (the Attache) says that about a quarter of those killed were possibly Tamil Tigers (LTTE) because they’d thrown away their uniforms,” he said.

Without being limited to classified documents, Lord Naseby had asked university experts who are "traditionally left-wing" about the casualties.

“They also said that 7,000 casualties was their estimate. There was other evidence too, like what US ambassador to Sri Lanka, Robert Blake, had named a tentative casualty figure: about 5000, a few days before the end of the war,” he said.

He had appealed to the UK government to amend the casualty count from 40,000 to 7,000.

Lord Naseby says that he keeps telling the Metropolitan Police of London that it is wrong to allow LTTE demonstrations as the organisation had been proscribed by most countries including the UK.

The police had claimed that the demonstrators cleverly change tiny details on the flag each year in order to escape the ban on the original design.

He says he is all for an investigation into some controversial deaths during the last phase of war, such as the killing of three top Tigers despite their attempt to surrender carrying a white flag.

“Of course, those really guilty of war crimes must be investigated. But to decry the entire leadership of Sri Lanka as war criminals - it’s not done,” Lord Naseby told WION.


  Comments - 27

  • ceylon Wednesday, 15 November 2017 23:19

    prove how you count it.25000 death of military along. via DM Android App

    Reply : 58       16

    nick Thursday, 16 November 2017 00:13

    so roughly about 20% of the made up total is that mean punishment for war crime now will be reduce by 80% via DM Android App

    Reply : 30       10

    Kannan Thursday, 16 November 2017 04:43

    He is a very long time mouthpiece of the Sri Lankan Army/govt. Whatever he says is right from the mouth of the Sri Lankan Army. He must be getting handsomely paid by his masters.

    Reply : 83       33

    RAK Thursday, 16 November 2017 08:49

    Majority in this country knows factless 40,000 figure was backed by Diaspora money

    Reply : 26       59

    Sheri Thursday, 16 November 2017 16:44

    Thank you, Lord Naseby - at last someone with the truth.

    Reply : 15       8

    raj Thursday, 16 November 2017 05:34

    Of course, those really guilty of war crimes must be investigated. But to decry the entire leadership of Sri Lanka as war criminals - it’s not done,” Lord Naseby told WION.It means that he also agrees that war crime were committed but not to the extent as reported, .

    Reply : 37       21

    Ganesh Thursday, 16 November 2017 07:57

    How many had been there before the war , how many were there after the was finished , how many were displaced , how many of them left the country legally. If there is a survey conducted by inquiring the people who were in the vannu during the war ,99% of information of death could be ascertained ,but just jabbering each and everyone according to their agenda will not serve any purpose . This should have been done by the Mahinda regime or by the present one which would not like to bear the additional burden to shake their foundation .

    Reply : 6       14

    cheers Thursday, 16 November 2017 08:36

    40,000 is the figure tamils who migrated through refugee boats to West and to Australia and they are called forged refugees and boaties and they managed to lie and hoodwink all international countries. This was the tactic of the the Tamil diaspora who are also refugees and part of that 40,000 still living in various countries

    Reply : 20       36

    Still high Thursday, 16 November 2017 08:37

    Quote "the number of people who were killed during the last phase of war was 7,000" OK. Does not 7000 need clarification. In a small country, this figure is very high.

    Reply : 22       13

    TJ Thursday, 16 November 2017 09:11

    My lord, is 7000 an acceptable figure?

    Reply : 24       16

    Liberal One Thursday, 16 November 2017 14:56

    yes because after may 18th we have 0 casualities. read that again. zero.

    Reply : 5       9

    malik Thursday, 16 November 2017 15:16

    as compared to 40,000? or and if you read many Tiger fighters in civilian clothes

    Reply : 4       6

    suresh Thursday, 16 November 2017 09:11

    Can you count how many died as a result of the British Empire. We can manage our affairs here.

    Reply : 14       16

    Aluvihare Thursday, 16 November 2017 09:16

    Really loving the laid back nature of the Sri Lankans viewing the above comments, let the dogs bark until a muzzle is put back on again .

    Reply : 6       19

    Ranjith Thursday, 16 November 2017 14:32

    Even if 7000 lost their lives during last stages of War it is the LTTE which is responsible for many of those as they held Civilians as a Shield for over 1 1/2 years. Diaspora and Western Countries sympathetic to LTTE failed to pressurize them to release civilians which resulted in hauling them like a heard of cattle to Pudukuduiruupu.

    Reply : 9       4

    JeffK Thursday, 16 November 2017 14:58

    This is when our own leaders are accepting what ever figures and allegation thrown by blood thirsty terror backing western leaders. I think we should pay our tax money to this man not to our corrupt traitors.

    Reply : 8       4

    Leo Thursday, 16 November 2017 14:59

    Now Fonseka will surface from wherever he is been kept and accuse Lord Naseby of trying to bring Rajapakshe into power.

    Reply : 3       5

    Lara Thursday, 16 November 2017 15:02

    Dont waste your time on us Sir. We are a selfish, ungrateful, jealous nation that thinks patriotism is evil and we are lead by corrupt traitors. No point wasting time on a primitive ungrateful nation like us.

    Reply : 1       7

    Jehan Thursday, 16 November 2017 15:03

    Now they will use Fonseka to refuse this claim and say that he personally knows that 70000 people died. Money is what ultimately decides justice.

    Reply : 2       5

    Sami Thursday, 16 November 2017 15:16

    Illegal arms procurer and other terrorist leaders still free.

    Reply : 0       1

    Sudunoona Thursday, 16 November 2017 15:19

    7 or 7,000 or even 40,000, that is really a Sri Lankan internal affair. You tell us how many were killed during your colonial era? In the same Wanni, King Pandara-wannian was defeated and his captured forces were ruthlessly massacred by the British on 31 October 1799. Let's talk about that, your Lordship. History repeated, yes?

    Reply : 6       2

    Gayan Thursday, 16 November 2017 15:32

    Diaspora fellows getting upset here. Funny.

    Reply : 6       8

    thusitha Thursday, 16 November 2017 15:58

    bitter truth

    Reply : 4       5

    Serb Thursday, 16 November 2017 17:04

    Then why hell did you all convict and imprison Radovan Kardzic for 40 years for massacring 7500 civilians in Srebrenica? Perhaps there was no monetary consideration.

    Reply : 3       8

    Fair for all Thursday, 16 November 2017 17:13

    How can we have a war without crime? Only available on PS4

    Reply : 3       6

    suja Friday, 17 November 2017 05:36

    Tony Blair is a war criminal

    Reply : 0       2

    ceylon Friday, 17 November 2017 14:46

    war was not bad for many.it created un electables to presidencypmcabinet and hundteds of billionairescorruptions through deaths. via DM Android App

    Reply : 0       0

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.
Name is required

Email is required
Comment cannot be empty