By Shamzeer Jaleel
Sri Lanka emerged Plate Champions in the Asia Women’s Rugby Sevens Tournament Qualifiers for the 2020 Olympic Games which was held in China today (10).
Sri Lanka played Singapore in the Plate Championship final and went on to win the game 33-12 in a completely one-sided match but failed to qualify for the Olympic Games 2020.
Earlier, Sri Lanka edged-out the Philippines in the Plate semi-finals where they recorded a 12-10 win.
Meanwhile, China defeated Hong Kong 33-0 in the Cup Championship final to secure their place in the Olympic Games.
- (Pool stage): Thailand beat Singapore 33-0, Kazakhstan beat Philippines 40-0, Hong Kong beat South Korea 47-0 and China beat Sri Lanka 50-0.
- (Plate semi-finals): Singapore beat South Korea 19-7 and Sri Lanka beat Philippine 12-10.
- (Cup semi-finals): Hong Kong beat Kazakhstan 19-7 and China beat Thailand 24-0.
- (Seventh place): Philippines beat South Korea 31-5.
- (Fifth place): Sri Lanka beat Singapore 33-12.
- (Third place): Kazakhstan beat Thailand 17-14.
- (Final): China beat Hong Kong 33-0.