By Sheain Fernandopulle
‘ONE COUNTRY ONE VOICE,’ a movement initiated by a five-member team comprising businessmen, academics and professionals, was launched yesterday in view of resurrecting the nation from the current catastrophic situation.
The team comprises Trillium Property Management & Services Limited Chairman Janaka Ratnayake, Prof. Muditha Vidanapatirane, business tycoon Sydney Gajanayake, Chartered Accountant Sujeewa Rajapakse and former Merchant Bank of Sri Lanka CEO Gamini Karunathilake.
Addressing a news briefing, Mr. Ratnayake said the following proposals would be presented for endorsement by the general public:
1. Establishment of one common legal system and abolishment of laws based on religious, racial and ethics of referrals.
2. Creation of a new political culture by banning parties that contain references to race, ethnicity and religion in their names and principles.
3. Development and implementation of policies that prioritise national security.
4. Introduction and implementation of a code of ethics and conduct for politicians at all levels while being treated only as common citizens.
5. Upholding freedom and rights for all citizens alongside placing importance on the preservation of nature and cultural heritage for future generations.
6. To legislate against extremism and terrorism in the country.
“In fact, it is a request to all patriotic citizens to support this move in order to convince the politicos of this country to make a better Sri Lanka. We are of the opinion that it was for the betterment of the future of all Sri Lankans and future politicians should abide by the proposals. It should be noted that this is not a move based on any politics. It is purely on behalf of the future of this country,” Mr. Rajapakse said, adding that the team targeted two million signatures from the general public.
“We will use print, electronic and social media platforms to transmit the six proposals and those who are willing may sign and send them back to us to the address mentioned on it,” Mr. Gajanayake said.
In fact, it is a request to all patriotic citizens to support this move in order to convince the politicos of this country to make a better Sri Lanka