The 36 Sri Lankan workers who were stranded at the Bucharest Airport in Romania on May 24 have received new employment opportunities with the intervention of the Romanian Labour Minister Violeta Alexandru, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said.
It said the Sri Lankan workers had earlier refused to remain at their former place of employment after having found that many others at their workplace were suspected of having being infected with COVID-19.
“The Sri Lanka Embassy in Warsaw concurrently accredited to Romania had been continuously assisting the Sri Lankans in Romania with the facilitation of the Romanian Ministry of Labour and other organisations to provide suitable accommodation facilities and other necessities for the workers.
Accordingly, the Romanian Government had conveyed a message to the Embassy of Sri Lanka yesterday that the group of 36 Sri Lankan workers have been offered an alternate employer in order that they may continue employment in Romania.
Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena was appreciative of the efforts made by the Romanian government to settle the matter amicably,” the ministry said.
- Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena was appreciative of the efforts made by the Romanian government