Efforts to rescue a two-year-old boy named Sujith trapped in a borewell near Tiruchirappalli has entered day four with officials saying the child has fainted but was breathing.
The rescue team is digging a one-meter wide tunnel parallel to the borewell where Sujith is trapped. The parallel hole dug by rescue team has dug around 63 feet till 9 pm. They have approximately 30 feet to go. Sujith is stuck at 88 feet. Efforts are being taken to ensure he doesn't slip further. Once the hole is fully dug, the rescue team is planning to reach Sujith via a horizontal passage.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also prayed for the rescue of the two-year-old. PM Modi assured that every effort is being made for his recovery.
He tweeted, "My prayers are with the young and brave Sujith Wilson. Spoke to CM @EPSTamilNadu regarding the rescue efforts underway to save Sujith. Every effort is being made to ensure that he is safe. @CMOTamilNadu"
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami took to Twitter and said that he has briefed PM Modi on the ongoing rescue operation.
He tweeted, "Briefed Hon’ble Prime Minister @narendramodiji regarding the rescue efforts underway to save child Sujith Wilson who fell into an unused borewell in Nadukattupatti village. Three Ministers have been deputed along with Fire and Rescue services, NDRF and SDRF."
He said, "Heavy-duty drilling machines and equipment have been deployed and experts from NLC, ONGC, L&T and NIT Tiruchirapalli are at the site to be of guidance. Further assistance would be sought depending on the status of the rescue efforts."
State Health and Family Welfare Minister C Vijayabaskar and Tourism Minister 'Vellamandi' N Nagarajan, who have been camping at the site since Friday night, said all efforts were on to rescue the child.
The boy had fallen into the borewell on Friday while playing near his house and rescue operations had started around 6 pm.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters, Principal Secretary, Revenue Administration, Disaster Management and Mitigation department, J Radhakrishnan said modern equipment was being used in the rescue efforts.
Two rigs had been bought in from Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) to drill the ground.
The first rig was dug up to 30.5 feet into the ground but later developed a technical snag.
The digging of the second rig began at 12:30 am. As of 6 am a total of 36 feet has been dug.
Sujith is stuck at a depth of 100 metres. (indiatoday)