A practicing astrologer is usually called upon to find answers to many a question put to them by those consulting them. Of these questions there are a few ones often asked providing answers to which set a formidable challenge to them. Questions requiring timing of important events in life - timing of the marriage in particular are among those an astrologer would find it difficult to answer. For instance, a parent would ask: “When is the marriage of my son/daughter going to materialize?”
Guided by Astrological principles and experience
When a veteran astrologer is asked the above question, he would proceed to time the event going by the principles relating to this subject expounded in the classical works on Astrology supplementing the effort with years of their personal experience.
Before making an attempt at timing of the marriage of a subject, an astrologer has to ascertain whether there are indications that the subject would embark on matrimony. Because there are astrological factors indicated in a horoscope pointing to whether the subject would marry or not marry at all or marriage would come only late – well past the prime youth.
Usually an astrologer would look for the planet most powerful in producing marriage or most likely to cause marriage and the Dasa or the Antar Dasa of that planet for timing of the marriage. The planet most likely to cause marriage could be the lord of the 7th House, the occupant of the 7th House or a benefic like Jupiter. There are other ways of timing the marriage apart from this standard mode.
For example, according to classical works by ancient Indian sages, the year and the month of marriage can be predicted accurately and precisely going by the Sun’s transit in the Rashi in the Natal Chart and the Navamsa Chart.
Let us consider some astrological factors that either prevent marriage or delay it.
- Venus in Cancer or Leo hemmed in by the Sun and the Moon denies marriage.
- There would be no marriage at all if the Sun, Venus and the Moon are in close conjunction with or in mutual aspect with Mars and Saturn.
- Mars in Virgo and Saturn in Cancer prevents early marriage.
- Conjunctions, mutual exchange of signs and mutual aspect between Saturn and Moon and/or Saturn and Sun delay marriage.
- A slow moving planet like Jupiter, Saturn, Rahu or Ketu in the 9th House would prevent an early marriage.
- There would be a long delay in marriage if the 9th lord occupies the 6th, 8th or the 12th House along with Jupiter.
- If the distance between the Sun and Venus exceeds 43 degrees, there would be obstructions to marriage.