REUTERS, 22nd NOVEMBER, 2017- The United States on Wednesday opened a $2 million tender to help clear unexploded bombs in Cambodia weeks after the government’s mine clearance agency said its U.S. funding had been stopped.
Relations between Cambodia and the United States have spiraled downwards this year with the government accusing Americans of involvement in a plan by detained opposition leader Kem Sokha to bring down Prime Minister Hun Sen.
Washington has rejected the accusations as baseless.
Last week, it said it was cutting aid for next year’s election and would take further steps after the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) was dissolved by the Supreme Court at the government’s request. The U.S. embassy said it was accepting applications for a $2 million one-year grant to survey and clear unexploded ordnance in eastern Cambodia, which suffered heavy U.S. bombing during the war in neighboring Vietnam.