WHO says China virus evacuations not needed

29 January 2020 09:34 am - 0     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

 

(Beijing) AFP: Evacuating foreign nationals from the epicentre of China’s deadly virus outbreak is unnecessary, the World Health Organisation said on Tuesday according to state media.

Tedros also will fly back to Geneva on Tuesday evening, said spokesman Christian Lindmeier.


The WHO last week stopped short of declaring the outbreak a global emergency, which could have prompted a more aggressive international response such as travel restrictions.


But on Monday it admitted making an error in originally assessing the virus’ worldwide threat as “moderate”, issuing an update late Sunday saying the risk was actually “high at the global level.”


More than 4,500 people across China have contracted the virus according to health authorities, while another 7,000 cases are suspected and awaiting confirmation.

 

 

  Comments - 0


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment




Land acquisitions in Hanthana and Knuckles Mountain ranges

Sri Lankans will soon lose their opportunity to boast about the rich biodiver

Wanathawilluwa forest clearance: Whodunit?

Days after the Anawilundawa Ramsar Wetland, situated in Puttalam District, ma

‘I’m scared to see her face’

On August 13, a woman happened to meet a child who was in desperate need of h

Kidneys that whisper death

A flute version of Beethoven’s ‘Für Elise’ was echoing from a distance