Govt. says polythene ban in effect from Sept. 1

24 August 2017 12:00 am - 0     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

  • But action against violators will be taken only from Jan. 1, 2018
  • Committee of officials to smoothen fallouts of the ban
  • Ban only applies to a few high-density polythene products  

 

The government has decided to implement the ban on high-density polythene (HDPE) from eptember 1 as earlier planned but punitive action against the production, sale and usage of such will be taken from January 1, 2018 onwards.


The violators of the ban will be fined Rs.10,000 and could be subjected to a two-year imprisonment term.


The period up to January 1, 2018 will be utilized to introduce alternatives and guide the polythene manufacturers, vendors and users towards them, Health Minister and Co-Cabinet Spokesman Dr. Rajitha Senaratne told reporters in Colombo yesterday.


He said a committee of officials comprising relevant state-run environmental agencies, Finance Ministry and Industry and Commerce Ministry would be appointed and will be tasked with this project. 
The proposed ban will only apply to three HDPE products — lunch sheets, shopping bags and grocery bags. The government expects to extend the ban to other non-recyclable products in the future in phases.


However, the manufacturers of lunch sheets and shopping bags could still manufacture their products using low-density polythene (LDPE), which is considered to be less harmful to the environment than the HDPE products. About 80 percent of Sri Lanka’s annual polythene production is in HDPE, which is considered to be stronger and low cost and the rest 20 percent is in LDPE. 


The polythene manufacturers are up in arms against the upcoming ban and maintain that it will eventually result in job losses to the tune of 345,000—a claim that the government officials say exaggerated. 

 

Due to its high strength, HDPE is considered to be more harmful to environment than LDPE. Annually, the Lankan HDPE manufacturers produce around 40 million kilogrammes of HDPE polythene, which is valued at Rs.12.87 billion (US $ 84 million).


Sri Lanka does not have a proper system to manage polythene or plastic waste. 

 

See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.

 

  Comments - 0

See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.

 

 

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment




Employees’ health and safety our top-most priority - Brandix

When inquired, Brandix Apparel Limited said that health and safety of employe

“Workers who fainted had water sprinkled on their faces and had to work again”

Health authorities believe the first reported Covid-19 infected worker from t

“Social media ruined us” - husband of Minuwangoda Brandix factory worker

The Minuwangoda Brandix factory worker who first tested positive for Covid-19

Last rites far from home

The body of the Sri Lankan migrant worker Bandu who died of coronavirus in Du

See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.