Twenty students hospitalized

3 March 2011 06:58 am - 2     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}


Twenty students of the Malattawala National School in Wellawaya were hospitalized this morning due to food poisoning after consuming rice and dhal curry served for the midday meal.

Wellawaya police said 20 students were taken ill after consuming the free midday meal served at the school and admitted to Wellawaya District Hospital.

The children concerned had developed a stomach trouble, but they were out of danger now, officials at the Wellawaya District Hospital said

Meanwhile a senior official of the Wellawaya Zonal Education Office said the midday meal was prepared under the supervision of a Public Health Inspector and that he would initiate an inquiry into the incident after receiving the PHI’s report.

However, a teacher of the school who expressed dissatisfaction about the quality of midday meals served to the children said a woman of the area was the contractor of the food served to the children. (Nayanajeewa Bandara – Wellawaya)

  Comments - 2

  • Potsherd Thursday, 03 March 2011 10:10 AM

    My guess is that the food was cooked a long time before it was served and that it was allowed to sit and get cold. Cooking and serving promptly seems to be an alien concept.

    citizen1 Thursday, 03 March 2011 04:33 PM

    that, or they got leftovers from before as cost of living might be an issue for the food-contractor.

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment

Public transport 'side-laned'?

“Miss, mantheeru neethiya nisa api bus passen yanna one. Ithin drop eka par

Land acquisitions in Hanthana and Knuckles Mountain ranges

Sri Lankans will soon lose their opportunity to boast about the rich biodiver

Wanathawilluwa forest clearance: Whodunit?

Days after the Anawilundawa Ramsar Wetland, situated in Puttalam District, ma

‘I’m scared to see her face’

On August 13, a woman happened to meet a child who was in desperate need of h