A stalls complex dealing with cut pieces of cloth in Melsiripura, was gutted in the early hours today. The dealers had stored a large stock of cut pieces collected at cheap prices from garment factories.
Gokarella police are yet to establish whether it was an arson or a fire caused by an electrical short circuit.
The Kurunegala Municipal Council Fire Brigade had rushed to the scene on information received from the Gokarella police, but the entire stalls complex had been gutted by this time. Residents of the area said the fire brigade that had run short of fuel and left the scene, did not return.
The fire that had been spreading till about mid noon yesterday was prevented from spreading to other buildings by the residents of the area who had thrown water.
Meanwhile Kurunegala Mayor Gamini Peramunage said he would hold a formal inquiry against the officers of the fire brigade if they had neglected their duty. (Mohamed Buhardeen)
Comments - 0
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.