Though it was initially believed that the deaths of a young mother and child from UAE was due to food poisoning, it is now suspected that the reason could be an allergy caused by a mosquito repellent vapor in the hotel room.
Police spokesman Ajith Rohana said investigations revealed that they had not consumed any food after the family arrived in Sri Lanka on Tuesday evening from Dubai.
They were staying at the Ramada Hotel in Seeduwa when they were rushed to hospital, police said.
Meanwhile the relatives of the victims had opposed to a post mortem examination as ordered by the Wattala Magistrate and are requesting to take the two bodies to Dubai.
However, police said an inquest would not be sufficient for further investigations. It was first suspected that the deaths were caused by food poisoning. But now the police have found details that it was due to an allergy caused by a chemical vapor.
The 24-year old husband identified as Mohammad Ali Obaid Al Mazroui who was also admitted to hospital in a critical condition has now recovered and his condition is said to be stable.
However, police are yet to record a statement from him. The 22-year-old Dubai national Obera Ali and her one and a half year old son Al Mohammed died at a private hospital in Wattala around 2.00 am on Wednesday.
The UAE embassy in Sri Lanka is also following the investigations. Members of the victim’s family are also due to arrive in Sri Lanka to transfer the bodies and help the husband. (Supun Dias)