AG’s advice still pending on Malaka, Rehan case

26 March 2013 12:22 am - 6     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

The accuracy of the complaint made by an Army Major against Malaka Silva and Rehan Wijeratne and the contradictions contained in the affidavit submitted by the Major later on  have been sent to the Attorney General  for his advice, the Salve Island police informed Court yesterday.

The case against Minister Mervyn Silva’s son Malaka and six others, who are alleged to have assaulted an Army Major, came up before the Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court yesterday.

 Defence Counsel Jayantha Weerasekara PC appearing for Malaka asked the police whether they had forwarded to the AG the Army Major’s affidavit which states that that Malaka and Rehan did not assault him.

The Slave Island police said the accuracy of the complaint made by the Army Major and his affidavit which contradicted the complaint had been forwarded to the Attorney General and his advice over the matter was still pending.

When the case came up before Colombo Fort Magistrate, five suspects including Malaka Silva, Rehan Wijeratne, W.S. Suresh Pushpakumara, A.P. Sarath Upali and E.P. Rumesh Sathyajith were present in Court.

Meanwhile, the defence counsel informed Court that the fourth suspect W.D. Nilu Aravinda has died and the third suspect was not present in Court.

Accordingly, Magistrate Gihan Pilapitiya issued warrant for the arrest of the third suspect H.G. Nalinda Janaka.

The Magistrate ordered that the mobile phone which was named as a production item be released to Army Major Pradeep Susena on bond.

Further magisterial inquiry postponed for May 6.

On September 9 last year Army Major Pradeep Susena in a complaint to the Slave Island police said he was assaulted by Malaka Silva and several others while at the JAIC Hilton and further alleged that his weapon and mobile phone were also robbed by the suspects.

The suspects surrendered to the Slave Island police after eight days and subsequently they were produced before the Colombo Fort Magistrate.
 
However, on September 17 the complainant in an affidavit in Court said Malaka and Rehan did not assault him and he was willing to come for an amicable settlement. (Lakmal Sooriyagoda)

  Comments - 6

  • ANTON Tuesday, 26 March 2013 02:45 AM

    Can't we make him minister of high way thuggery, definitely he will do a good job.

    garawi Tuesday, 26 March 2013 08:21 AM

    What action to take ??

    TreeHouse Tuesday, 26 March 2013 02:52 AM

    Sheer waste of public money.

    Kit udugama Tuesday, 26 March 2013 03:58 PM

    Good guys finish last

    renu Tuesday, 26 March 2013 08:37 AM

    Send them to Jail Country will be better off

    Panikkiya Tuesday, 26 March 2013 09:13 AM

    Sorry Putha... Innako mama hetama ooka iwarayak karala daannang....

    AG Uncle


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment




Public transport 'side-laned'?

“Miss, mantheeru neethiya nisa api bus passen yanna one. Ithin drop eka par

Land acquisitions in Hanthana and Knuckles Mountain ranges

Sri Lankans will soon lose their opportunity to boast about the rich biodiver

Wanathawilluwa forest clearance: Whodunit?

Days after the Anawilundawa Ramsar Wetland, situated in Puttalam District, ma

‘I’m scared to see her face’

On August 13, a woman happened to meet a child who was in desperate need of h