After receiving the warning letter on April 9, 2019, about the possible terror attack, that particular letter should be the priority of all intelligence reviews and Security Council meetings during that time, former IGP N. K. Illangakoon on Friday informed the PCoI probing Easter Sunday Attacks.
N. K. Illangakoon was a former IGP who served from July 16, 2011 to April 11, 2016. He also served as an advisor to the Ministry of Defence.
The official representing the Attorney General’s (AG) Department showed the intelligence letters informing about the attack and questioned the witness, as if the witness had received such an advance warning about the attack, how would he act as an IGP then on?
After examining the letter, former IGP Illangakoon said that if he was at the position during the time, he would realise the seriousness of the matter and gather the relevant information about names of the suspects stated in it.
“Before receiving this letter, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had already commenced investigations into two incidents in Mawanella and Wanathawilluwa about two suspicious incidents related to attacks,” witness said.
Illangakoon said that the IGP who served during that time should immediately summon the officers attached to the Terrorism Investigation Division (TID), State Intelligence Services (SIS) and all other intelligence agencies for immediate discussions.
Witness also said that it is important to inform the threat to the Secretary of Defence and the Minister of Defence after conducting discussions with the head of SIS.
“There was sufficient evidence to arrest Zahran Hashim and his accomplices. The IGP should have informed the Senior DIGs in charge of the provinces to launch a special operation to arrest these suspects,” witness said.
Illangakoon pointed out that the security of the endangered areas mentioned in the letter should be taken into consideration thereafter and the IGP should have continued to monitor the situation until the threat subsides. (Yoshitha Perera)