Sugar import levy upped to Rs.13 a kilo

21 December 2016 06:16 pm - 6     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

The Special Commodity Levy for a kilo of imported white sugar had been increased by Rs. 6 from last night, the Finance Ministry said.

However, the retail price would not be affected, Ministry’s Media Secretary Sisira Wijesinghe told the Daily Mirror.

“An importer would now have to pay Rs. 13. Earlier it was Rs. 7 per kilo.  However, the price increment would not affect consumers because the government had declared a control price of Rs. 95 on white sugar,” he said.

“The Ministry took this decision to discourage sugar imports and to gain more revenue to the government,” he said. (Chaturanga Pradeep)

  Comments - 6

  • Premalal Thursday, 22 December 2016 09:44 AM

    There goes the first budget consession. The rest will follow soon and only the taxes will remain.

    Kaboos Thursday, 22 December 2016 10:26 AM

    Before implementation of the budget another increase. Something wrong

    southpaw Wednesday, 21 December 2016 07:09 PM

    Bad news for people with Sweet Tooth !

    bronathan Wednesday, 21 December 2016 10:32 PM

    This is good. Sri lanka only produces 7% of the sugar it consumes. The other 93% is imported. Over 20 billion rupees is spent on sugar imports. By increasing the tariffs on sugar imports, the price local farmers make for sugar increases as well. This will lead to increased sugar production by local farmers which will lead to a drop in our trade deficit.

    brainmaster Thursday, 22 December 2016 12:07 AM

    Watch it, the sugar importers may compensate the reduced profit by importing even more heroin and cocaine then before.

    Kadiya Thursday, 22 December 2016 06:08 AM

    I am only waiting for them to tax the very air we breathe so that I can stop breathing!!!


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment




Public transport 'side-laned'?

“Miss, mantheeru neethiya nisa api bus passen yanna one. Ithin drop eka par

Land acquisitions in Hanthana and Knuckles Mountain ranges

Sri Lankans will soon lose their opportunity to boast about the rich biodiver

Wanathawilluwa forest clearance: Whodunit?

Days after the Anawilundawa Ramsar Wetland, situated in Puttalam District, ma

‘I’m scared to see her face’

On August 13, a woman happened to meet a child who was in desperate need of h