At least five people were killed and 11 hospitalized after being exposed to Ammonia gas at a rubber factory in Bellapitiya, Horana today.
Police said an employee of the factory had accidentally fallen into a tank containing Ammonia gas outside the factory this afternoon while attempting to clean the tank.
Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara said several others including residents in the area who attempted to rescue the employee had become unconscious due to the inhalation of ammonia gas and were admitted to the Horana Base Hospital.
Five of the victims had died while undergoing treatment at the hospital.
The victims were identified as residents of Bellapitiya.
SP Guasekara said Horana Acting Magistrate was to inspect the factory this evening while the Horana Police are investigating the incident. (Darshana Sanjeewa and Thilanka Kanakarathna)
Pics and Video by Buddhika Kumarasiri
Comments - 6
lkboy Thursday, 19 April 2018 02:48 PM
Oh dear. Where are the safety protocols and standards??
Sachith Thursday, 19 April 2018 04:06 PM
Yes, where are these labor ministry officers. This is a common news, always hearing these kind of tragic news.
REEZ Thursday, 19 April 2018 06:17 PM
Who is the fool show thumb down.
Kan Kun Thursday, 19 April 2018 06:48 PM
Do u mean Rubber slippers?
ANTON Thursday, 19 April 2018 06:56 PM
IT IS HIGH TIME ALL THE FACTORIES WERE GIVEN RISK ANALYSIS SYSTEM, THAT SHOULD BE MADE COMPULSORY.
concern Thursday, 19 April 2018 07:31 PM
You are referring to a highly corrupted system that bribes overrides any laws
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.