Check if your mobile phone connections are legal: TRC

2 March 2016 02:19 pm - 4     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}


The Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka has requested subscribers to check with their service providers and disconnect if there were any connections operating under their name without stipulated documents or explicit consent.

“It is necessary for the subscribers to inquire whether a mobile phone connection had been obtained by providing a copy of their NIC or any other relevant document without their consent and disconnect such connections through a relevant telephone service provider,” the TRC said.
It informed all mobile phone subscribers to inquire and ascertain that service providers had all relevant documents of the subscriber, which required when applying for a mobile telephone connection.

On a newspaper advertisement, TRCSL Chairman said that paying close attention to these documents was essential as the owner of a SIM Card is responsible for all actions done through that particular SIM (Subscriber Identification Module).

“It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit relevant documents to the telephone service provider when applying for a mobile telephone connection. Mobile telephone subscribers should inquire whether the relevant documents are with their service provider,” it said.

Further information could be obtained from the telephone service providers through Airtel: 1755, Dialog: 1777, Etisalat: 1727, Hutchinson: 1788 and Mobitel: 1717.


  Comments - 4

  • Ram Wednesday, 02 March 2016 04:20 PM

    How Stupid? We have more than 10 million mobile connection and TRC expects individual users to check with service provider?. It is the service providers responsibility to make sure the connections are issued to the right person upon submitting correct documents !!!

    Dhanapala Thursday, 03 March 2016 03:36 PM

    Service provider should communicate with each customer with NIC number giving numbers in their record and get confirmation and not otherway around. Dont they have the capability to do so?

    Lawry Thursday, 03 March 2016 09:00 PM

    TRC is trying to escape responsibility knowing it is not possible. This shows how idiotic they are.

    Cric Wednesday, 02 March 2016 02:57 PM

    How do we do it? We have got all connections after submitting necessary documents. What a waste of time.

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment

Public transport 'side-laned'?

“Miss, mantheeru neethiya nisa api bus passen yanna one. Ithin drop eka par

Land acquisitions in Hanthana and Knuckles Mountain ranges

Sri Lankans will soon lose their opportunity to boast about the rich biodiver

Wanathawilluwa forest clearance: Whodunit?

Days after the Anawilundawa Ramsar Wetland, situated in Puttalam District, ma

‘I’m scared to see her face’

On August 13, a woman happened to meet a child who was in desperate need of h