The Central Environmental Authority (CEA) has ordered to suspend the functions and operations of the Rubber Factory in Horana where five people were killed due to an ammonia gas exposure yesterday.
Speaking to the Daily Mirror, Director General of the CEA Hemantha Jayasinghe said the functions of the factory would be halted until the investigations were concluded.
“The factory will be shut down after considering the report of the investigations and the inspections of the CEA,” D.G Jayasinghe said.
Meanwhile, Western Province Chief Minister Isura Devapriya today said he had requested the Central Environmental Authority (CEA) to close down the rubber factory and cancel its lisence.
He said the factory had not obtained permission from the Horana Pradeshiya Sabha and that the residents had complained to the authorities of the harm done to the environment by the factory. (Sheain Fernandopulle and Thilanka Kanakarathna)
Video by Buddhi
Comments - 10
bul Friday, 20 April 2018 05:39 PM
We do postmortems always. Standards and safety are never concerned in our country. This should be taught at school levels onward. When the tourists are attacked, it is inquired and found many Hotels do not possess even basic license to operate. When a worker dies in a factory, standards and safety are checked. Brains are given to check and specify safety and standards in advance. This is called " learning by mistakes " and for this we do not need a brain. Go on Sri Lanka......Go on Government.....
LP Friday, 20 April 2018 05:48 PM
This is Sri Lanka.Incidents were happening in a unique way.Tragedy,Awakening of authorities,Then awakening of politicians.
kumar Friday, 20 April 2018 06:15 PM
closing down the factory is no solution. It would only lead to loss in production and income.What went wrong is the necessary protection. The Cm admits as to public complain and PHI admits as to repeated instruction. Therefore the CM and the PHI are equally liable for negligence. It seems that they have been oiled instead of implementing the precautions. As usual when things go wrong they make noises. Public tax money is wasted as well.in maintaining these unnecessary posts if they cannot be held liable..
ANTON Friday, 20 April 2018 06:42 PM
IT IS A TIMELY ACTION ... VERY GOOD LESSON TO THE OTHER FACTORIES AS WELL AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TO THE RELEVANT MANAGERS .
Dutchy Friday, 20 April 2018 07:03 PM
Better late than never
Kan Kun Friday, 20 April 2018 07:03 PM
How many people are going to lose their job
Tuan Abdeen Friday, 20 April 2018 07:56 PM
This incident occurred due to unawareness of Confined Space entry. Prior to do such activities foreman or supervisor must ensure that the Oxygen level of the trench or ditch is capable enough between 19.5% to 23%. The person who entered in to above must use a life line and the watchman must be standby to take the person incase of emergency. While watching this video it sounds very clear that No Safety at all. Employee must ensure that your safety in your hand and the employer must ensure to reduce risk with zero tolerance to follow safety procedures and prepare Job Safety Analysis.
dianahudgins Friday, 20 April 2018 09:00 PM
HOW DID THE FACTORY GOT CEA APPROVAL??????
Insider Sunday, 22 April 2018 06:58 PM
That's the Million Dollar Question !!! CEA takes bribes to issue licences !! That is why this clown stammering like... me me ......Aa Aa Aa ...when talking about this. All are corrupted !!!!!!
DPerea Saturday, 21 April 2018 06:46 AM
It is high time for govt. to start a new Safety Authority or at least change present CEA to become Central Environmental and Safety Authority. It is not present CEA's job and they are not qualified enough to monitor Occupational Safety Issues.
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.